Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Belmont Stakes on Saturday

There are 12 entries for Saturday's Belmont Stakes, the third leg of the Triple Crown. Ice Box, trained by Nick Zito, has been made the morning line betting favorite at 3 to 1; Star Spangled is the morning line long-shot at 30 to 1. Starting from post number one, the gate will be as follows: Dave in Dixie (with jockey Calvin Borel), Star Spangled (with Garrett Gomez in the irons), Uptowncharlybrown, Make Music For Me (trained by Alexis Barba, the only female trainer in the race), Fly Down (a Nick Zito trainee), Ice Box, Drosselmeyer (with Mike Smith on board), Game On Dude (trained by Bob Baffert), Stately Victor, Stay Put, First Dude, and Interactif (a Todd Pletcher trainee). I have yet to decide which colt I'll cheer for.
Lovey has head-butted my face so many times in the last twenty-four hours that I have nose prints and spit all over my glasses, and I've lost count of how many times she has knocked my glasses off... I'm not sure what's going on with her. But I give her love and attention when she wants it. The last few nights she has slept in Banichi's favorite spot. I'm certain she misses his company and playfulness; I know I do.
I know my liver panel came back weird this past time around; and I have an abdominal ultrasound scheduled for June 8th. When I returned home from walking the Irish Setters this morning, I had a message on the phone to call my doctor's office immediately. I did, but it was just after noon, and everyone had gone to lunch. All the answering service could say was that I needed to schedule another lab appointment immediately, but they couldn't tell me why. So I'm waiting for the nurse to call me back and inform me why I need to do this so urgently before I actually schedule it. And I want to find out if I'll need to fast prior to the visit or not - I have to fast for 12 hours before the ultrasound on the 8th... And I like to guzzle my Coca-Cola!

No comments: