Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Fantastic Play

It's 9 in the morning here - 72 degrees and 60% humidity. Folks in Colorado think it's terribly humid if the percentage is above 30. Neddy is exploring the patio, while Lovey is lying in cool grass in the shade of the aspen. I thought I would sleep like a log last night, finally back in my own bed; but it wasn't to be. Since I was home, Lovey had to keep telling me how awful it was to have a little shadow following and trying to emulate her - she talked all night. And Neddy ran across me all night. For some reason, I'm tired this morning. After I finish the blog and get the kits back inside, I'm going to turn on the fan and hopefully get cooler and have an uninterrupted nap (maybe). Tomorrow is the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year, and there will be quiet celebrations around the world.
Last night I was lucky to see Grand Hotel the Musical, presented by the Parlando School for the Arts, at the Dairy Center for the Arts in Boulder. It was both riveting and a high-energy performance. Having never read the book, nor seen the movie or play before, I went in with an open mind. The actors and actresses in this production ranged in age from 13 to 20, and I was totally floored by their performance. I would never have guessed their ages, and the ladies next to me were positively swooning over the performance of Chris Douglass (a UC freshman) as Baron Felix von Gaigern. Personally, I was entranced by the acting of Max Silverman as Victor Witt, the manager of the ballerina. Since I know this young man off-stage, I always watch his work with pride. I left the theater last night with the Charleston playing in my head, and walked home to call Nancy and tell her how fantastic the performance had been. I was amazed to learn from her that the young man portraying Otto (the dying book keeper) was only 17 - he was super! And I was also impressed by the Doctor, as well as the aerial ballet dance to Bolero - it was just a wonderful performance. I laughed, I cried, and I came out with a light heart. - Bravo!

No comments: