Friday, June 24, 2011

I Want A MeyToch!

As usual, I have been totally charmed by baby MeyToch.  He is just such a cute little bundle of energy - and I'm sure that if I were his mother, I'd want him to nap all the time.  At five weeks, he jumps on top of his mother's back, butts heads with her, is starting to graze on his own (his teeth are breaking through right now), and delights in running, jumping and cutting a caper.   He and his mom, Hazel, are pygmy goats, and I can carry him under my arm - he weighs about 12 pounds right now.  Hazel seems to accept the fact that her baby gets all the attention - I groom her and make sure that I make much of her, too (but MeyToch is plain delightful!).  ...  Victor and Xena, the two young pups, have very different personalities - Xena is the shyer of the two, and quietly asks for attention; Victor just runs up to you and tries to get you to play with him immediately, without any overtures.  ...  Topgallant Charlie is still going strong as the rooster of the family- he's down to 6 adult hens, so the family has added 10 10-week-old pullets to his harem (I think 3 of them are young cockerels).  Barbara has hatched five chicks, and Nell and Nancy are both brooding on nests that have at least three eggs each....  Charlie pinched the top of my foot so hard this morning that I have a penny-sized bruise - and I was giving everyone fresh water and several scoops of scratch and cracked corn! One would think he'd be appreciative!
After being gone over with a fine-toothed comb (literally), as well as having skin scrapings taken, the vets at CSU could not find a single identifiable source for Rosie's itching.  There was no sign of a mite infestation, but since that is the only thing she hasn't been treated for, they gave her a bath and mite treatment, and sent home the bath stuff and treatment for Remy, too.  ...  Suki has a shaved band that goes from her shoulders halfway down her back, and from mid-rib to mid-rib.  Her skin is a mass of scabs from her itching - but it seems to be slowing down, as she gets more thyroid medication into her system.  ...  Boo is still wearing the "cone of shame".  This is one week after being spayed and having the cancerous growth on her hind leg removed.  She seems to get a kick out of whacking people's legs with the edge of her hard plastic cone.  ...  Mona is doing great.  ...  My  kits were very excited to see me arrive, got loving, ate and immediately ran outside. Mocha is laying in the sun on the patio, while both Lovey and Nedi are out playing in the grass. I don't think I'll get a real response from them until I get all my gear back home on Sunday, and then when I pack it up again on Wednesday.  Well, dirty litter boxes await my vigilant scooper - I'm off and away!
**Photos of MeyToch, Hazel, Victor, Xena, Topgallant Charlie, etc.  are coming soon! **

No comments: