Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Flag Day

I just had a five minute serenade of fire engine and ambulance sirens - but I have no idea of what's happening. I think they were headed south/east on US 36 - the main road to Denver... It's 77 degrees outside, there's a light breeze (my kitty wind chimes are tinkling), and the humidity is at 20%. We had thunder and hail storms last night, but the kits and I slept through them. Breathing outside this morning was quite a task: you could see swirls of pollen moving with the air currents, and the air was also full of cottonwood seeds. I'm certain that when Rosie, Remy and I finished our walk, if one could have looked at our lungs, all one would see was yellow pollen. It was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen so much pollen flying about in the air in my life! I hope that it won't make Rosie and Remy too itchy!
Sunrise this morning was gorgeous - there were just enough clouds in the east to make a beautiful palette of oranges, reds and golds against the blue of the sky. I took my walk and was picking up breakfast from the bakery, on my way home, at 5:50. The kits are all stretched out on the patio - (there go more sirens!) - and I think I'll have fruit salad for lunch, sitting out there with them. Mocha will go out onto the patio, but, so far, has been unwilling to step into the grass or go exploring any farther. That's fine with me, as I have no idea where Coffeepot will end up, and whether or not Mocha will be allowed out.
The Wallow fire in Arizona and New Mexico is now over 733 square miles - the largest in Arizona history. And we have another fire that started yesterday south of Trinidad, near the Arizona border. That fire has more than tripled in size since yesterday, and the smoke, ash and haze from the fire has closed I-25, the main north/south road. Fun, fun, fun! Boulder Creek is starting to reach the "regular" full height of summer water levels - and we might see minor flooding within the next few days. Hail last night, fire, flood.... all we need (and I am being sarcastic, here) is a tornado!

No comments: