Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Epsom Oaks and Derby

Yesterday, a 20-to-1 chestnut long shot, named Dancing Rain surprised a lot of people at Epsom Downs by winning the Oaks. Today, Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II, again had to accept the agony of defeat when her colt, Carlton House, finished third in the Derby. Pour Moi, a French colt, won the Derby by a head over Treasure Chest, an Irish colt. Pour Moi was ridden by 19-year-old jockey Mickael Barzalona - the first time a teen-ager has won the race since Walter Swinburn won on the great Shergar 30 years ago. Pour Moi was the second choice in today's betting. (And will we ever know what truly happened to Shergar after he was kidnapped?)
I returned a load of books to the library yesterday, but only checked out 2 new ones. One is a Gil Cunningham mystery, and the other is a Hugh Corbett mystery. Hugh is the Keeper of the Secret Seal for Edward I (Longshanks), and Gil is a young lawyer in 15th century Scotland - they definitely keep me entertained! I'll have to get over to the library again before the end of this week, or I'll be new-book less! Of course, I have a great many "old friends" that I can read again at any time - it's just nice to be able to have a choice.
The kits are out on the patio. I have told them about Mocha, but I still have no idea what their reaction will be when she arrives. (And I hope Coffeepot finds a place of his own soon!) Brandi misses Kyle, and left me to sleep in his room early this morning - it's nice that they'll return home tonight. Ooch is skinnier than ever - but considering that we've cut away most of his fur coat, and the fact that he's 21 years old, I guess he has a good reason to be thin. He certainly is an old sweetie! But I'm ready to spend the night at home with my kits again - and they get to spend their first night with Mocha without my interference. Hopefully, she is as Zen-ful as 'Pot says she is.....
There are over 20 square miles that have burned down in southern Colorado, along the New Mexico border - the wildfire is about 50% contained. But now the Elk River (near Steamboat Springs) is about to reach a 100-year flood level; the Colorado is running high; and the folks just north of us are having to be concerned about the Big Thompson and the Cache le Poudre Rivers. So far, Boulder Creek is running a little higher than usual, but it is not a substantial amount - thank goodness! .... Hope all of you have a great weekend!

No comments: