Friday, April 12, 2013

Critters and Genealogy

Today is grey and dreary so far. I felt great when I awoke this morning, but i have developed a headache just to the outside of my left eye - and that usually doesn't bode well. I'll take my preventative migraine medicine, but I don't know if it will work. Rosie and Remy were very good yesterday for their walk, and luckily, most of the snow had melted. Today, other than a few piles of snow in shaded parking lots, all sign of Tuesday's snow is gone. But the weather guys are now saying possible showers throughout the weekend and Monday, with more snow on Tuesday... We'll see. Maggie May decided to stay by my side for several hours yesterday - I was doing research on the computer, and she was stretched out next to the keyboard, occasionally touching my hand to let me know she wanted her chin scratched. The ravens and crows are noisily playing with Nedi this morning, while Lovey has draped herself across my shoulders and doesn't want to be dislodged.
   I just finished reading Creole Belle by James Lee Burke, and I immediately started Pope Joan afterwards. I've already read over 100 pages - the book is written episodically, and moves quickly. I'm reading it to answer some questions that came up after watching the 4-hour TV movie on Easter Sunday... so far, my few questions have been amply answered. I also looked at two travel books - one for Sweden and one for Denmark. I was disappointed not to find anything about the small town that great-great-grandfather came from in Denmark - I realize that it's a small farming community, but the local church was built in the 11th century, the baptismal font is from the 10th century, and there are also two Viking rune stones inside the church... The travel guide for Sweden was excellent - but I'm still not sure where Cap'n Walt and his parents lived while they were in Sweden. I have been assuming they lived in southern Sweden, as the majority of old photographs in the family album (all unidentified) were taken at the studio of Karl Karlson in Karlskrona, a few were taken in Malmo, and a couple in Kristianstad... It doesn't help that the family surname is Johanesson, or a variation of it... So, I'm still digging on the Swedish side.

No comments: