Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Black Caviar ... and Spirits?!?

It's snowing outside. Isn't this April? Isn't it Spring time? I'm actually quite happy that the snow is falling - our snow pack up in the mountains has increased to 93% of the norm, so we might not face water rationing this summer.
   The big news today in horse racing is that Black Caviar is being retired. The mare has won 25 straight races, and will become a broodmare. She was purchased, as a yearling, for $210,000 (Australian); her current purse winnings are $7.498 million (Australian). My best wishes to the owners of this fantastic mare!
   Were I living in the Dark, or even Middle, Ages, I could easily state that my house has spirits within it. I don't believe in spirits, myself, but it was very unusual to see my jeans "breathing" yesterday afternoon - I literally did a double-take when I saw them. Being lazy, when I returned from shopping eaterday, I had removed my jeans and bunched them up and placed them on the counter next to the bathroom sink. I spent the rest of the day in sweatpants.
   Nedi had gone out and played in the snow for a couple of hours, and had come back inside with little balls of snow attached to his pantaloons, belly, and forelegs. He immediately leaped into my lap and dripped snow all over me. I toweled him off, as much as he would allow, and closed the door. I didn't think about it again. Several hours later, I went into the bathroom to use the facilities - and was amazed to see my jeans lying in the bathroom sink. I started to pick them up, and found that it seemed there was a large rock in the seat of my pants. I released them and stepped back. That's when I realized that my jeans were "breathing" - I could see them rise and fall rythymically. I gingerly peeked into the waistband, and found a very fluffy, warm, and sound asleep Nedi. Then I had to laugh... Spirits, indeed!

No comments: