Saturday, April 6, 2013

Cats, Ponies and Birds

Once again, it's bright and sunny out; yesterday we had a mostly cloudy afternoon, but it was lovely outside. Bea and I traveled up Magnolia Mountain and had the lunch buffet at Kathmandu in Nederland. Then we visited the Carousel of Happiness, and ended up riding twice - the first time, I was on the camel and Bea was mounted on the peacock; the second time, Bea rode the moose and I was on the pig wearing a western saddle... We had a great time.
  I was worried about Ooch yesterday, as when I stopped by, he was "listing" to the left, as if the right side of his body couldn't respond to his brain. I went back later, and, while he was better, he was still showing a right-sided weakness. I sat with him in my lap and loved and petted him, and gently tucked him into his heated bed when I left late last night. I was afraid I'd have to report a death to his people this morning. As soon as my key was in the lock of the front door, however, Ooch was at the side window, demanding breakfast and seemed perfectly normal (for a 23-year-old cat) this morning. So my outlook today is very bright.
  Thursday and Friday were the Spring Round Up days on the south end of Assateague Island - all the ponies looked to be in great shape, and Surfer Dude was the stand-out stallion, as usual. Today and tomorrow, the Round Up will continue on the north end of the Refuge, with all ponies getting a health check, vaccinations, and needed hoof care. It's definitely spring time!
  And our mountain blue birds are back in profusion... Robins, magpies, chickadees, nuthatches, flickers and woodpeckers abound. The only birds I haven't yet seen are meadowlarks and cedar waxwings. The air is full of birdsong!

No comments: