Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lots of Things...

It is still snowing outside; perhaps we will not be under water restrictions this summer, after all.  Before this ends, it's been predicted that we will get 9 to 12 inches of snow.  Believe me, I am not complaining.  We need the moisture desperately - and even though my apartment sits beside Boulder Creek, I don't have any fears of flooding, like the folks along the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers and their tributaries.  We might reach 32 degrees today, but it seems unlikely; just like the forecasters say we'll have temperatures in the 70s this weekend.  I'll believe it when it happens.
  All of my critters are doing well - although Nedi is a bit miffed with me because I made him come back inside after playing in 19 degree weather in the snow for an hour this morning.  He is currently looking regal on top of the bookcase, while Lovey is curled up in bed.  Squirrels visited the patio throughout the day yesterday, but none have appeared so far this morning.  The ravens and crows called to me raucously until I fed them half a loaf of wheat bread this morning.  If I don't accede to their demands, they land on the back of my wicker chairs next to the window and flap their wings, which drives my kits crazy....  Those birds are not dumb.
  I started reading Night Moves by Randy Wayne White last night; it's the twentieth Doc Ford mystery-adventure novel in the series.  And this one seems focused on the loss of Flight 19 - the five planes that disappeared on 5 December 1945 from Fort Lauderdale on a routine flight mission.  My father was a part of the search for the planes and 14 crew members while he was stationed at Vero Beach, so I'm finding this to be an excellent read.  And I was supposed to see my therapist this morning, but she has been subpoenaed for a court appearance today, and we had to reschedule - at 8 o'clock last night.
  I watched DaVinci's Demons on Starz last night, and decided that I'm getting old and prudish.  The sex scenes didn't bother me, but I found the language somewhat offensive.  Other than that, it seems to be a very entertaining show; witty, well-written, and fast-paced - and very colorful.  But I must say that my favorite limited series so far is still Vikings on the History Channel. Episode 8 is titled "Sacrifice" and deals with the gathering at Uppsala every 9 years.  I was excited to learn that the Gamla Uppsala Cathedral was built on the original Hall of the Gods, where sacrifices were made - and that it still stands today.  I think I'm going to have to travel to Sweden and Denmark before I die and visit my ancestral roots.
  In horse racing news:  Zenyatta now has a full brother, a bay colt born at Ashford Stud on April 9; but I have yet to see photos of him.  ....  Kentucky Hardboot trainer Ron McAnally won the San Juan Capistrano Handicap for the third time this past weekend; he first won the race with the great John Henry.  ....  Goldikova, the mare who won the Breeders Cup Mile three times, has a full brother named Anodin.  He won his first race in his three-year-old campaign this week.  Anodin is trained by Freddie Head, like his sister.  ....  And eleven horses belonging to the Godolphin Stables have tested positive for anabolic steroids in Great Britain.  Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni states that he did not realize that using anabolic steroids while the horses were not currently racing was illegal.  Certify, who was being pointed at the 1,000 Guineas, tested positive and will not be allowed to compete.  Simon Crisford, the spokesman for Godolphin Racing said, "His Highness Sheikh Mohammed was absolutely appalled when he was told and this is completely unacceptable to him. We will await the outcome of the BHA inquiry before taking any further internal action. Sheikh Mohammed has instructed me to begin an urgent review of all of our procedures and controls. That is already underway and we will take advice from the BHA in completing it."

No comments: