Monday, February 9, 2015

Baby Shower and Ancestry Search

I had a blast at my nephew and his wife's Baby Shower yesterday.  It was a short, but sweet version - with all kinds of finger foods, wine, and non-alcoholic drinks.  Erin's Mother, her partner, and a couple of friends produced a spread that looked like it was professionally catered.  I was actually surprised by the Shower, as I never received an invitation, which Janet (Erin's Mom) had sent through the mail.  I happened to run into Mike while he was visiting Jim and Kathy late Saturday afternoon, and he asked if I was going to be there... I felt quite stupid when I asked where and for what...  So I buzzed out yesterday morning and purchased a bunch of small gifts suitable for a boy, along with a card and a gift bag.  Thank goodness some stores are open before noon on a Sunday!
   I think watching Erin and Mike opening their gifts was the highlight of the party, but one of the funniest was when they placed a glass vase in the center of the room and handed everyone a slip of paper and a blue pen to contribute name suggestions.  They say they haven't yet decided what names to give the little one - but they are certain it's a boy.  Several names were greeted with applause; some were very funny.  Keep in mind the parents surname is Snow...  The winner by consensus was: Winn Willitt Snow.  I'm pretty sure they won't actually name the boy that, but it was good for a laugh.
   I was excited to find that Ancestry.com had a free weekend access for British family records this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  But I found myself frustrated in my searches.  I was trying to find some trace of Thomas Nock, who was born somewhere in England, at some point in time during 1617 (according to his tombstone).  I know that he arrived in the colonies sometime before 1652, as he is noted in tax documents for 1653 as having established his home in New Hampshire "by 1652."  He married in 1653, here in the colonies; and he passed away in 1666, in New Hampshire.  I filled in all the known information  - in hope of finding something that would give me a clear-cut idea of where Thomas was born, and who his parents were.   No matter what I did, I couldn't get the "hits" found on Ancestry lower than 12,157.  My biggest complaint is that. perhaps 1 in 250 listings, met the year criteria.  I filled in his birth date as 1617, plus or 5 years.  I filled in his death date as 1666, and in the US.  I received "hits" on men named a variation of Thomas Nock up through the year 1940!  Grrrrrrr.   I realize that spelling was not a consistent factor at that time.  In the colonies, our name changed from Nock to Nocks to Knox, and then split into Knox and Nocks.  In England, the names vary from Knock, Knocke, Noak, Noake, Noakes, Nock, Nocke, Nockes,  Noke, and Nokes. I was just hoping to find one person born in 1617 that immigrated to the colonies around 1650...  It didn't happen.
   The two I found that fitted most closely were: (1) Thomas Nocke, baptized on 29 August 1619, in Lapley, Staffordshire, son of Edward and Alse Nocke of Lapley; and (2) Thomas Nokes, baptized on 8 June 1617 in Goudhurst, Kent, son of Robert Nokes....   Neither is a surety, and I'm certain there were many more I might have missed...  Ah, well....

No comments: