Thursday, February 19, 2015

Snow and Vikings

I misjudged the amount of snow melt in my sister's back yard yesterday.  I walked Rosie and Lucy wearing sneakers, not my snow boots, and found that snow was still six inches deep in Kathy's back yard.  There were a few patches of grass, so I had a good place to stand and play with the dogs.  And Rosie and Lucy had a blast in the snow - they ran and played, chased toys that I tossed, made doggie snow angels, shoveled snow with their noses, ate snow, and chased a few impudent squirrels.  I was happy that I was able to keep my feet pretty dry.
  Our weather forecasters are saying that we'll have highs near 60 degrees (F) today and tomorrow morning.  Then the Arctic Express will back into the area, and snow will begin to fall Friday evening.  At the moment, most computer models say that Boulder will get between 12 and 24 inches of snow.  Oh boy.  I don't mind snow.  We need snow.  But I hate having large amounts fall when I'm committed to making several trips each day to different houses around town on the weekend.  My main reason is that the buses only run once an hour in any direction - which can be extremely inconvenient.  I'll get my shopping and laundry done today, so I won't have to do either over the weekend.
   Tonight, in America, the third season of the History Channel's Vikings will premiere.  Ragnar's hair style changes during this season, and some fans don't like that, according to comments I've seen on "sneak peek" sites.  My only comment is to remind viewers that time is passing in the Viking world - Ragnar's first son is now an adult; his children with his second wife are growing up.  In actual history, there is a 35 year gap between the first Viking raid on the Holy Island to the sack of Paris, which will happen this season.  Ragnar is getting older.  And he will, eventually, die.  I also got a kick out of a comment from a viewer who keeps saying that Lodbrok (or Lothbrook) is not a family name.  That is quite true. Lodbrok means "hairy pants" and was a nickname given to Ragnar  to differentiate him from other Vikings named Ragnar.  Rollo had no such appellation.

No comments: