Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What Earthquake?

People in Denver felt the earthquake last night; it occurred in Trinidad, Colorado just before midnight and was a 5.3 quake.  I slept through it - and, even if I had been awake, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.  In any event, there were three small tremors in Trinidad yesterday, and then the big one last night.  A few walls cracked, a few bricks fell from chimneys - that was the most damage that was viewable this morning.  I'm more interested in Hurricane Irene - what her track will be and how much damage she causes the eastern seaboard.  I hope the folks along the coast get only rain and rough seas - but that seems too much to hope for.  My biggest hope is that Assateague and Chincoteague don't suffer serious damage - and that my friends in Florida aren't bothered too much by wind and rain.

Yesterday was the first day of classes at CU - there were masses of new students running around, and I'll have to be helpful to the kids that don't know where the buses run.  Not much else is going on.  A doe ran into the bushes near one of Cloudy's sleep spots this morning, and Cloudy ran for the house as though demons were after her.  When she saw me standing in the door watching her, she slowed down to an amble, but looked back over her shoulder to be sure she wasn't being followed.  Shady slept with me again - and was a comfort when I awoke from a nightmare early this morning.  The callus spot on Rosie's rump turned into an abscess, so I had to make sure she didn't go swimming or get her haunch wet while we were walking today.  And when I went to put her harness on this morning, I found that it's hanging together by only a few threads at one of the pressure points.  I made certain that I pointed it out to Joel; and I'm very lucky that those threads held, because we ran into three groups of deer today, and Rosie and Remy believe they are deer hounds.  I visited my kits twice yesterday, and this morning Lovey can't get close enough.  She is keeping some point of her anatomy against my skin at all times...  Hmmmm.  I wonder if she and Nedi felt the quake last night?

No comments: