Monday, August 22, 2011

Yeah, Jimmy!

Jimmy finished fourth in his age group for the Marathon up and down Pike's Peak yesterday.  With his combined times, he placed 97th as a "Doubler."  But he was the only man in his age group to run in both the Ascent and Marathon races, so as a Doubler, he was first - as a 67 year-old.  There is no way I could have even walked the course, let alone run it, or them back-to-back!  So I humbly salute my brother-in-law.  You are something!  I needed some flat land today, so I drove over to Longmont and Berthoud - just so I could see fields of crops and rolling pastures with livestock.  I love looking at the mountains, and climbing in them, but my east coast up-bringing still makes me hanker for non-mountainous areas.

All of the critters are fine - Rosie's haunch is bothering her again, so she's visiting the vet this afternoon. When she got her short trim, I thought she had a callus on her rear from sitting; but it's gotten inflamed, so to the vet she goes.  Shady slept on my legs last night; I was reading A History of Latin America that was written by Alexy's father.  It's very good (if you like history), and I then found out that George Pendle had been a BBC commentator from South America for many years, as well as being the CEO of a huge textile company in London...  Who'd a thunk?  All I can say is that his book on the overall history of Latin America is very entertaining, as well as also being very insightful.  I'm looking forward to reading his other books regarding each country. - My kits were happy to see me again this morning.  I think I'll surprise them by showing up this evening as well.  It'll make a nice break in our current routine, anyway. .... And I think I'll have to make more nectar for the hummingbirds here.  There is a very small amount left in the one that's out, and I've seen it visited more than 20 times so far today.  A couple of them are having a discussion on the patio even as I type this....

No comments: