Friday, August 12, 2011

Florida Adopt-a-thon in Two Weeks

I thought we have a lot of cats to adopt here in Boulder - and, a reminder, that all cats aged 6 months and above are available from the Humane Society of Boulder Valley at NO charge through August 31.  But our supply of cats is minuscule in comparison with the Gainesville Humane Society.  They will be having a Feline Adopt-a-thon on August 26, 27, and 28 for the over 600 cats that they currently have.  The cats are from a cat hoarding raid in High Springs - the place was licensed as a no-kill cat rescue home, but they got more cats than they could handle and things became awful pretty quickly.  If you can afford to, and live in either the Boulder or Gainesville area, please adopt one of these needy cats. (Thanks for the information, Kathryn!)

Jonathan, the lame 6-point buck with the wobbly hind legs, has made a nest under Alexy's blue spruce (in the front yard) and spends most of the hottest hours of the day there.  I go in and out the front door, and he barely raises his head to acknowledge my presence, knowing that neither I nor Alexy will disturb him.  The Rs went for a hike up at Brainard Lake with their owners this morning, so I'll be walking them this evening.  Lovey is sitting on the corner of my desk, talking to me.  Nedi is stretched out in the grass, enjoying the shade.  Mocha is curled up on the love seat, watching the Western channel.   Since I'm allowing Cloudy and Shady extra time outside, they don't seem to mind that Alexy has gone.  Shady sleeps with me each night.

As usual, my rooting for a team acted as a jinx, and the Broncos lost last night.  The Cowboys beat them by one point, making a two-point conversion after their touchdown with only 15 seconds left on the game clock.  Kyle Orton was the starting quarterback - but he only played one series, moving the ball from our 15 to their 1 yard line - we got a field goal from that.  Then Tim Tebow came out - he scored a touchdown that was called back, and he moved the team up and down the field, and we got a couple of field goals from him.  The only TD the Broncos scored was during Brady Quinn's quarterbacking during the second half....  Ah, well.....  Hopefully my cheering won't act as a deterrent for all the teams I like!

No comments: