Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Minus Twelve and There's a Windchill, Too

Yep, it is minus twelve degrees outside, but the windchill makes it feel like minus twenty-four. It's a mite cold out there - and my kits sniffed the air at the patio door and retreated back inside right away. Yesterday's pile of nuts doesn't look like it's been touched, so I hope that Gimpy and his clan are staying a little warm. Our Wind Chill Warning is in effect until 11 a.m., and it warns of the air feeling like -20 to -30. Last night, the Weather Advisory areas stretched over 895,000 square miles from this one storm. At least the sun is shining at the moment. I hope to take the Rs out around noon, but I don't know if I can make myself go outside in this bone-chilling, frost bite and hypothermia causing cold. The weather has caused both Acqueduct and Hawthorne Park to close their tracks for racing - it's too cold for the horses, jockeys, and employees to be safe. .... In Sterling, Connecticut a Guernsey-Jersey cross calf arrived last week. He's a nice, rich chestnut color, and on his forehead, he has an almost perfect cross of white hair. He has been named Moses - and just might escape being slaughtered for veal. .... Last April I wrote about how upset I was over the CU co-ed who taped her boyfriend's dog upside down to the refrigerator. The trial was set to start this week here in Boulder; but has now been postponed until April. Abby Toll is still charged with animal cruelty and assault, but police have dropped a tampering charge against her. Rex, the Shiba Inu, has been adopted by another family and is living out his life with a new name and two Shiba Inu buddies. .... I'm going to go scramble some eggs and broil some turkey sausage, so please enjoy your day!

No comments: