Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cats and Colors

I was finally able to find some of Lovey's favorite toys - after fruitlessly searching for 18 months. I used to buy her "Midnight Madness" balls at the local Safeway store; then I could only find them as one of a set of 4 balls sold for ferrets to play with (but not in the colors that Lovey prefers). While visiting a Wal-Mart to find the sunglasses I prefer (they fit over your regular glasses - not clip-ons), I wandered into the pet section and there were Lovey's favorite toys! I bought four sets of them.

Scientists say that cats do not perceive colors (and have used - shudder! - brain implants to prove it), so perhaps my various cats have chosen toys of certain colors due only to smell - I really don't know. Lovey loves to chase these "Midnight Madness" balls that are neon yellow and neon green - but she completely ignores the hot pink and dark purple ones. Booger, one of my earlier cats, would play with a sock - but it had to be blue in color. QuiPu would fetch mice with rattling beans inside them, but they had to be yellow - he would not chase the grey or pink or blue ones.

All I know is that each cat has been an individual, with very specific likes and dislikes concerning food, water, toys and the type of love they wanted. Some cats had to be near me at all times - WhoDat used to sit on my foot when I stood still, he was in my lap when I sat down, and slept either across my chest or on top of my head in bed. Others have been extremely independent and came to me only when they wanted to be caressed, petted, or scratched - and then left my presence once they had enough attention. All I can say is - I love them!

No comments: