Thursday, August 28, 2008

Cussing Chickadee

I was drafted into my sister's party plans again yesterday, thus no blog. Since I spent most of the time either on-line or in my chair, working on fliers, the kits were in heaven - they could get attention and love in the doses that they wanted. Since I have yet to refill the birdfeeders, their raucous song is missing - except early this moring, when a very put-out chickadee cussed me out for having an empty feeder...

Early morning walks have been glorious - the snowfall up in the mountains was a wet one, and most of the snow has once again melted from view, except for small crevices where the sun doesn't have much power. My "local" bakery at Safeway is having trouble with employees, and I haven't been able to get a fresh bagel or pastry for the past three mornings (whine, whine). One of the men in the produce department gave me a freshly washed, sliced, and de-stoned local Colorado peach this morning - he and I usually trade quips in the morning - so I had a very satisfying (and free) breakfast.

Several pet-sitting clients are going to bring their pets for a "quick visit" at the party, and will then take the dogs home and return without their four-legged family members. I have more than enough clients to keep me busy in pet-sitting, so at the party, I'll talk about my other passions, genealogy and history, and how they interweave. One of the things I love in genealogy is to find odd, unsusal names - or melodious ones. I loved it when Joe Biden introduced his mother at the DNC last night - Kathryn Eupemia Finnegan Biden. What a truly melodious Irish name - until the Biden. She made me think of my Mom.... (not that Mom was Irish - she was Swedish, Danish, and English - but just from her looks, and her saying, "That's right..." and nodding, when he son told a story about her....) And when I say odd and unusual names, I discovered a cousin of mine whose Christian names were: Eight One.... I am not joking.

No comments: