Saturday, August 16, 2008

Rain, Snow; Poopy Dogs; Olympics

Trail Ridge Road is still closed due to snow and temperatures in the 30s. Loveland Pass at US 6 is closed due to snow. Boulder, Denver and Fort Collins are under a Flash Flood Warning through noon tomorrow. Oh, the joys of much needed rain in an arid climate after a longish period of drought.... Boulder has received 1.7 inches of rain in the last 24 hours - and it is very much welcomed by me.

Before getting over to Suki and Boo's last night, Jim informed me that both of the girls had gotten into a tub of salt, and had ingested a good deal of it. Kathy and I put down extra old blankets and towels over the rugs in the dogs' room before they left. This morning, as I approached the door, I was greeted by the odor I expected... but really didn't want. Both girls had drunk lots of water during and after their salt escapade - and diarrhea was the result. Boo is now a brown Samoyed with a white face; while Suki is white with brown spots. I have shaken and scraped the blankets and towels and put them in the washing machine; I have hosed out Boo's crate; I will mop the floors and hallways a little later this afternoon; then I get to bathe both dogs. Luckily, Boo is "blowing her coat" - that is, shedding her undercoat, so she won't be that difficult to get clean. Suki, on the other hand, while not as dirty, has that full double coat to wash, groom and dry.... I know that I'll sleep like a log after cleaning up the room, the crate, and the dogs!!

Official of the Individual Dressage Grand Prix Special are:
1st place: Isabell Werth, Germany, on Satchmo
2nd place: Anky VanGrunsven, Netherlands, on Salinero
3rd place: Heike Kemmer, Germany, on Bonaparte
4th place: Steffen Peters, USA, on Ravel

And please root for "Mini" Finney, from Boulder, in the bicycling roadrace at the velodrome!

No comments: