Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cold Rain and Hail

I can personally attest that a June Colorado thunderstorm produces hail, wind, and very cold rain - not to mention the lightning and thunder. I walked over two miles during one yesterday, getting from the bus stop back to Walt and Sophie's house. Luckily, the hail came down first, and was small (compared to the baseball and golf ball sized stuff that's been falling), but cold, and it stung a bit when it hit. (I was wearing sneakers, jeans, a T shirt, and a sweater.) - It was uncomfortable when a particularly heavy fall hit my head before I could get my arms up... And, other than being sopping wet when I arrived, everything turned out well. I put my clothes in the wash, and upended my shoes over the heat vents. Yeah - it's still pretty cool outside. It was 55 at 10 a.m. this morning, and we might reach 60. There are reports of funnel clouds and tornadoes all over the eastern half of the state, and folks are sending in a lot of video and digital photos to the news channels. Other than having a few small tree limbs come down, this place has suffered zero damage.

I spent a couple of hours with the kits yesterday after walking Rosie and Remy. The kits ate voraciously, and then snuggled up next to me, so we took a 90 minute nap together. And just before I left, I heard Gimpy at the window, doing his darnedest to get inside. (I put a few nuts on the patio for him before I left.) Neither Lovey nor Banichi were happy with me leaving again, but I promised them I'd spend tonight, in our own bed, with them. I do miss them! Tonight I go home and tomorrow around noon, I go to stay with 3 dogs and a frog; and Sunday I move in with Rosie and Remy for 10 days (directly from the 3 dogs plus frog house).... Busy, busy, busy....

Not much else going on... Sheik Mohammad, owner of Darley Stud, has purchased Rachel Alexandra's sire, Medaglio d'Oro, and has moved him to the Darley farm in Lexington. And Overbrook Farm, who bred, raced and stood Storm Cat, is selling all of their breeding stock and youngsters. Storm Cat was pensioned from stud last year, but three stallions will be on the block as well as over 200 other horses. The owners of Overbrook hope to lease the Farm out, with it continuing to be a working thoroughbred farm. - Oh, and for the next 12 days, I will only be able to access the internet when I am at home with the kits.... I might not get around to blogging every day, but I will try to!

No comments: