Monday, June 15, 2009

Critters, Weather and PBS's Appalachia

Sorry about the lack of posting yesterday. The early morning was delectable: bright sunshine, a few high clouds, temperature in the low 50s. I walked Sadie and Rusty before many people were out and about, fed the whole crew, made sure Coffee went outside for a bathroom break, and was at Rosie and Remy's by 7:45. They were upset, having seen the family pack their luggage, so I took them out on a 15 minute walk (so the family could get the luggage loaded into their van without the Rs seeing it done). I read out loud to the Rs until their folks had been gone for an hour, then headed back up Quince to check in on my morning crew. (By the way, Frippet the frog has an olive colored back, not a pale yellow-green one, like the ACF in the preceding photo.) Then I bounced back and forth between the two houses until about 6, walking, treating, and loving all the critters. We were under another tornado watch yesterday from 3 p.m. until 9 - and it looked threatening several times, but we only received rain and straight-line winds. - Not so in Denver, where they had to clear Coors Field during a Rockies game due to a funnel cloud that was clearly visible from most of the stadium seats. There were no reports of tornadoes actually touching down, but multiple funnel clouds were sighted.

I am currently at home, with Lovey attached to my chest, neck and face, while Banichi is glued to my lap. It makes for interesting keyboarding! Our highs this past week have been about 10 degrees below normal (low 70s), with lows in the mid 40s. Wednesday, the guys have forecast a high of 90 with less than 10% chance of rain. That will be awesome (as my heater just turned on again). I have already walked the Rs this morning, given them breakfast, and come home. The kits have been fed, and I've performed my other house duties; Gimpy has consumed a large pile of peanuts. Unless an emergency arises, I will be at home with the kits from the 21st through the 28th, going on to my next job the evening of the 29th. Yeah! Some time to catch up on my family tree research! I don't have internet access at the Rs, so I will be blogging and answering e-mail only when I'm home visiting the kits. - I saw an outstanding program on PBS last night and was pleased to learn it has 3 more parts to air; the program's name is Appalachia: A History of Mountains and People, and is narrated by Sissy Spacek. I highly recommend this as a must see program - please check your local listings if you're interested in the history, animals, lore and culture of this region! Here's hoping you have a pleasant week!

No comments: