Saturday, June 6, 2009

June 6

June 6th. D-Day on the beaches of France 65 years ago. - And today is also the Belmont Stakes Day at Elmont in New York. Will Calvin Borel be able to ride a personal Triple Crown victory, on two different mounts? Will Nick Zito, D Wayne Lucas or another trainer be able to send out a spoiler? This afternoon, at the end of a mile and a half race, we'll know. ESPN will begin airing live coverage from Belmont Park at noon (Eastern time) and ABC will then cover the Belmont Stakes. There are several really good races on the undercard, including a race with undefeated 3-year-old Hull in it. I plan to be watching. The track was a sloppy, muddy mess yesterday, but officials say it should be fast by Belmont time.

I was eating blueberries yesterday; Lovey decided she wanted one. I expected her to roll it around with her paw and leave it, but she bit right into it. The look of shock on her face was priceless! She had been eating cheddar cheese on crackers with me earlier, so I guess she thought she'd have something just as tasty. During this time, I was enjoying watching the film Electric Horseman on the Western channel. I think this is one film that definitely improves with age - but I still swear that "Rising Star", the supposed thoroughbred race horse, looked a heck of a lot more like a Quarter-horse racer than a TB. Anyway, I enjoyed the music, the scenery, and most of the dialogue - and the beautiful shots of the horse running in slow-motion. - Whenever I see this film, I wish that all the film shot down at Sleepy Hollow (in Micanopy) for Doc Hollywood had made it into the film - then I could have seen the horses that I spent 20+ years with...

Other than visiting my kits and loving them each day, I will be away, house-sitting and pet-sitting, for 18 days beginning tomorrow. I'll start with a house with two dogs; go to a house with 3 dogs and a frog; and then end up at a house with 2 dogs, 6 koi and a huge bullfrog.... And I'll still be walking the red kids Monday through Friday.... so I will definitely be kept busy. I am not sure about my internet access at the first two places: I'm pretty sure I'll have access at the first house, but not at the second or third - so my blogs might be posted at odd times. - And this month is National Adopt a Shelter Cat Month - so if you can afford it, and have the time and love, please adopt an adult cat from your nearest Humane Society, Rescue Society, or Animal Shelter. They will give you unconditional love (in a cat's manner)!!!

No comments: