Monday, June 1, 2009

June

The first day of June! While in school, I always looked forward to June because it meant that summer vacation would soon begin. That meant that I was free of teacher and school strictures - I could read about anything that took my fancy and I would soon be headed for Chincoteague to spend my time roaming the island, along with Assateague, on foot (and occasionally bicycle). I had learned in grade school that my inquiring mind was not welcome (at that time, anyway) and that if I took my public library books to school, some of my teachers did not believe that I could/would/had read them. I became a secret information junkie - about anything that happened to grab my attention - any type of animal, history, archeology.... Then in 1968 I discovered the Sci-Fi and Fantasy section of the adult area - I was, and still am, hooked for life. I really thank my parents for loving to read, themselves. Yahooo!!!! It's June!

It was 79 yesterday, with lots of storms all around Brigadoon and Boulder, but they never occurred in my precise area. It's grey this morning, and isolated showers are expected early this a.m. and late in the afternoon. We have a cold front moving through this afternoon/evening and are expecting a high between 50 and 55 tomorrow, with rain. I spent several hours with my kits yesterday - Lovey greeted me with desperate howls, while Banichi ignored me. After I fed them and spent a lot of time stroking Lovey, Banichi came and curled up in my lap (where he stayed until I left to come back to Brigadoon). I sort of panicked last night - I kept counting 9 chicks, but they were running around like mad... I finally got a 10 count, and that's how many were there this morning. There's an orangey-red chick that I call Cinnamon - it's a mischief-maker and leader, and always tries to "make a break" for freedom when I open the door for the coop. Pepper and Lucy are settling in - I am "mean" in that if I let them out the back door, I expect them to come back inside through the backdoor. Both dogs want to have free rein as to re-entering the house - they will scratch and /or bark at any of the other 4 doors and expect to be let in. But, I am "mean" and make them come in the door they went out - they understand that now, but will have forgotten it by the next time I house-sit with them.

No comments: