Friday, June 12, 2009

More Thunderstorms

It was wonderful to sleep in my own bed with the kits last night. I arrived home around 4, and left at 6 to pick up the key in North Boulder for Frippet the frog and 3 dogs. Met with the family and retrieved the key and returned home; then checked out TV (nothing on), so started reading Birds of Prey by Wilbur Smith. The kits snuggled close, and the next thing I knew it was morning. I've had my walk, fed the kits, cleaned the litter boxes, and turned the kits loose in the backyard. Three minutes after I opened the patio door, Gimpy was at his place on the mat in the living room eating peanuts.

We had a whopper of a thunderstorm around 8:30 last night - lots of lightning and thunder and heavy rain. Yesterday afternoon in Parker (just south of Denver), there was such a heavy hail that it was piled up on the yards and streets more than 3 inches deep - kids were outside afterwards wearing shorts and their winter coats. And northeast of Greeley, the farmers have been happy (until yesterday) with the increased amount of rain we've had lately; but yesterday they had a 30-minute hail storm that ruined, at one farm, over 800 acres of cabbage, peas, and carrots... A little more rain we can always use - Hail, however, destroys the farmers' tender young crops - And tornadoes are friends of no one. We've had funnel clouds and tornadoes every day since Sunday this week. The forecasters say it might clear up by Monday...

A large raven followed me for several blocks during my walk this morning - it cackled and cawed and clicked most of the time it was doing so. I think it was Jeff checking up on me - he always said he'd come back as a crow or raven and haunt me!

No comments: