Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Belligerent, Bellicose & Butt-Stomping

I woke up in a good mood this morning.  I have to admit that I'm usually so-so when I first awaken, but today I was in a really good mood.  I fed the kits, cleaned their litter boxes, took a shower and got dressed in fresh, clean smelling clothes.  I reached into the bathroom cupboard and placed the last roll of toilet paper in "stand by" position.  Then I headed for the grocery store to get a fresh, warm bagel and a large package of toilet paper.  I chatted with a few people while inside the store - people I see every morning - and we all laughed about having to buy one of the necessities of life - toilet paper.  I went through the self-check-out lane, as usual.  I was happy to see that I was saving $4.50 on my "mega rolls" package.  As I had only 38 cents in change on my person, I slid my debit card through the reader.  It asked for my PIN, and I punched the four numbers.  A red screen flashed up, stating attendant assistance was needed.  Debbie came over and cleared the machine.  I tried to pay twice more.  The register finally said, "Card Declined."  I walked over the ATM in the corner of the store and had my card read - it stated that I had $0000 available, as my card was reported Lost.
  I was not a happy camper - in no way, shape, or form.  My entire day went into the bull shit pail.  I returned home, scrambled some eggs with cheese for breakfast, and turned on my PC.  There was nothing "flagging" my account on-line.  I called the 800 Help number and was told to call back after 9 a. m.  I checked my register, and the on-line account, and found no variances.  I was at a slow boil stage by then.  I left to walk Rosie and Lucy at 8:20, and noted the buses were running about ten minutes late.  I managed to get Rosie and Lucy walked, and return a Tupperware by 11.  I had also twisted an ankle, and managed to pinch my right sciatic nerve, while walking.  Not in a good mood a'tall...
  Since I was going to the Credit Union, and not back home, I had to take another bus route.  I was 100 yards away when the bus turned the corner and passed the stop - I didn't have a chance.  The bus runs every 30 minutes, so I decided I'd just go ahead and walk - I made 2.5 miles before the next bus came along.  A friend was driving, and he listened to my story of woe, and wished me the best as he drove away from the Credit Union stop.  I went in and approached the customer service desk.  There was one employee there, and she was running around, gathering all sorts of items for the woman who was in line before me.  After ten minutes, she greeted me, and then we had to wait for four more minutes while the PC "unfroze."  I was finally asked my name and why I needed to talk to someone - "so the best person available could help" me.  I'm amazed that I didn't have steam pouring out of my ears.  I explained that I had used my debit card yesterday, but that it was declined this morning, and that I was told my card had been reported lost; that I wanted to know who had reported the card lost, at what time the report was received, how the person identified themself, whether the loss was reported by telephone or on-line, ... and, just generally, what the heck was going on.   I was asked to wait for the next available representative.  I sat down wondering if the "best person available to help" me would really be the "next available representative."  I got to sit for 12 minutes before a woman walked into the area and said a name.  I heard, "Heidi?"  No one responded and she said it again - I asked, "Betty?" and she said, oh, yes, please excuse her pronunciation, as she had a cold.  I gritted my teeth and followed her back to the service area.
  It turns out, that, after the Target fiasco, my Credit Union decided to take things into their own hands and send me a new debit card.  But I wasn't told of this by either telephone, e-mail, or regular mail.  They just sent the card to me on December 23, last month.  Then they decided that since they had sent the new card to me on December 23rd, they would cease to honor my old card today, January 21.  I never received the "new" card.  I really was not, and am not, a happy camper. I appreciate the CU for trying to "protect" me - but it would have been nice if they had told me what they were doing, first!
  So.  Here I sit.  I am still in a belligerent, bellicose and butt-stomping mood.  But I have nothing to take my annoyance out on - except this keyboard and in this blog.  Thanks for letting me rant.  (And I still have to go back to the store and get toilet paper.....)

No comments: