Friday, January 24, 2014

What To Do....

There are a plethora of things to do in this area over the weekend - this is the final weekend of the Denver National Western Stock Show, and the Budweiser International Snow Sculpting Championships are taking place in Breckenridge, while Colorado Springs is having their Community Chili Cook-Off.  The Winter X Games are still happening in Aspen, there is a great participation exhibit on Antarctic Explorers Mission at the ATOMS Headquarters on Spruce Street in Boulder, and Manitou Springs is hosting the Pots By The Pound Sale, while local artisans are selling their work.  Tonight, there is a Wine and Cheese Tasting Extravaganza at the BookCliff Vineyards Tasting Room on Lee Hill Road in Boulder, featuring Haystack Mountain cheeses - this has a cost of $35 per ticket.  And at the Colorado Horse Park, in Parker, this weekend will be the first Winter Schooling Horse Show.
  Me? I'll be digging in the genealogy pile, walking dogs, and reading.  Lovey and Nedi were frantic to go outside this morning - it was 40 degrees already - and I allowed them to do so. Less than three minutes later, I heard Lovey howling and growling, so I went out and gathered her in - she was spitting at the neighbor's cat, Baby, through their patio door.  Lovey is currently sitting on the corner of my desk, with her tail wrapped around my left arm.  Nedi is sleeping in the bright sun at the top of the cat tree.  I'm wearing sweats and wool socks, and wishing for some warmth.  It's supposed to be in the 50s today and Sunday, in the 60s tomorrow - and then back to highs in the 20s on Monday and Tuesday (with more snow possible)...
  I'm being mean, here, but since I've thought it, and said it aloud, I might as well write it, too...  I found a photo of my great-great grandfather's uncle, Hazel Graham Petrie.  I made the comment that in this photograph, Uncle Hazel looks quite dessicated - I mean, the man lived from 1785 until 1869 - and, of course, the photo was taken in the 1860s, so he was quite elderly when the view was taken. I had never read of him and Aunt Sallie having any kids, so I've just thought of him as a "dried up old man."  Yesterday afternoon I discovered that Hazel and Aunt Sallie had 12 children who lived to adulthood, and, then when Aunt Sallie passed away, Hazel had 4 more children with his second wife. Of the twelve kids that I'm related to, one was a Judge in Kentucky, and one was a physician; one of their younger half-brothers was also a physician.  I was amazed.  Just goes to show that you really cannot judge a book by it's cover....
With apologies to my great-great-great-great uncle...

No comments: