Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Weather, Stock Show, Critters

We reached a high temperature of 61 degrees yesterday - I went out shopping for my toilet paper (see yesterday's blog) in shorts and a T-shirt.  We're hoping for a high of 40 today, and the forecasters say the temperature "will drop like a rock" this afternoon, down to 8 degrees - and they are also saying we'll get 1 to 4 inches of snow overnight.  The weather folks also say to be happy if we get up above 25 degrees on Thursday.  Then we'll return to highs in the low 50s....  Our average high at this time in January is 42 degrees.
Since it's supposed to be frigid tonight and tomorrow, I have bird seed in stock, and I'll purchase more mixed nuts for the squirrels later today.  Gotta keep my outside buddies happy!  (And robins are already here, due to the warmth - I'm afraid they will die with this cold.)
   Yesterday, my snit day, was the free admission day to the Denver National Western Stock Show.  In the first week, there were over 345,000 visitors to the show grounds.  The show continues to run through Sunday, 26 January.  One can still see Pro Rodeo performances, a 9 News Super Dogs show,the Grand Prix Horse Jumping Show, An Evening of Dancing Horses, the Draft Horse Show, and the Pro Rodeo Finals.  And, if you want to pay homage to beef, the Grand Champion Steer will be on display at the Brown Palace Hotel and Spa in downtown Denver on Friday, 24 January, from 11 a.m. until 1 p. m. (MDT).
   I'm getting ready to head out to walk and play with Rosie, then walk Lucy.  I am supposed to feed and care for the Thore critters Thursday, Friday, and Saturday; and for the ABCs the following weekend.  My kits are quietly sleeping at the moment - Lovey is in the recliner and Nedi is on the top of the cat tree. Squirrels are running wild on the patio, moving the chairs around with their acrobatic leaps.
   And, while I'm happy and excited that the Denver Broncos are going to play in the Super Bowl on 2 February, I am already tired of all the Broncos hyperbole on the television, the radio, and in the newspapers.  Enough, already.  It's a game.  And it's being played on the East coast... not in Denver.  I did feel bad for the teen in Seattle, who works in a cinema - his boss told the employees to wear a football jersey to work on Sunday, and the young man, being a Broncos fan, wore in Demaryius Thomas's number 88 orange jersey.  The young man lost his job.  That is rotten.
  ** And, as a fun aside, if you like the Broncos, or Ellen Degeneres, or Zane Beadles, be sure to watch The Ellen Show today.   Zane Beadles confessed that he always has wanted to dance with Ellen, and I got to see a sneak peek of my favorite Broncos offensive lineman dancing with Ellen.  Watch!  It's fun!!  **


No comments: