Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cold, With Light Snow

It started snowing, lightly, around 11 last night; depending on where you are in Boulder, so far the snow accumulations are between 3.3 and 5.1 inches around town.  There is about 4 inches in my back yard, and snow started falling again at 7 this morning.  The snow should stop before noon, but the forecast for today's high temperature is 26 degrees.  -  But then we'll have three days with temperatures in the 50s, and snow again on Monday...  Typical Colorado.
   One brave squirrel has already visited the nut stations this morning - he shoved a Brazil nut in one cheek and a pecan in the other, and took off.  I have a large plate full of small bird seed mixed with nuts and dried fruit at the edge of the patio - and we have a flock of juncos and several chickadees visiting at the moment. Lovey is perched on the foot of my bed, watching the birds and squirrel, while Nedi is crouched on the rug at the patio door.  (And it's all of 10 degrees outside now!)
  I had blueberry waffles for breakfast, and am going to start cooking a large pot of marinara sauce with meatballs for consumption at supper.  I also have a chicken breast, that I plan on baking with apricots, for lunch.  The big news at the moment are all the traffic accidents because of the ice on the roads under the snow - and the fact that the Broncos are going to the Super Bowl.  I know that we're bombarded each year with the cost of  a televised advertisement for 30 seconds during the Super Bowl - but what about the cost of a ticket to see the game?  The lucky few season ticket holders of the Broncos, who won the Super Bowl lottery drawing, were "allowed" to purchase two tickets apiece, at the cost of $850 per ticket.  One of the sports announcers said that seats on the 50-yard-line about 20 rows up, cost $15,000 apiece.  (Heck, that's more than I make - or live on - in a year!)
   At least I can do some more work on the family tree today - a cousin sent me a photo of my great-great grandfather, Judge Hazel Petrie Mobley, a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to see if I could find photos of his siblings.  I knew that the Judge had a younger brother whose initials were R.D., but that was all the information I had.  I found out that R. D. stood for Richard Daniel, that he was also a Judge, and that he was one of the founders of Grand Junction, Colorado and of Mesa County.  That was a surprise!  One of the other brothers, Claiborne Riggs, was a lawyer, who spent his final years practicing in Tampa, Florida.  That brother died from "pulmonary disease" (tuberculosis, or lung cancer?) at the age of 43.  Another brother was a Methodist minister - the Reverend William H. Mobley - who died at the age of 35 in Kentucky.  Brother Claiborne was a firm believer in slavery, but the others were not - even though Judge H. P. purchased a slave in 1850 (for $770), Bedford was given his freedom in 1858, and he stayed with the Judge as a paid man servant until his death.   -  Here's hoping I find out more interesting items about the family today!
 

No comments: