Monday, January 27, 2014

Steadily Falling Snow

I had to laugh as I read a "news" headline this morning - "Which did you watch, The Grammys or The Bachelor's wedding?"  First, there is no way that is a news headline.  Second, I watched the Pro Bowl and never even thought about looking at the other two programs.  And the Pro Bowl was wonderfully different last night - for the first time, the public could vote on their favorite players, regardless of their AFC or NFC affiliation.  Two ex-Pro Bowlers were chosen to "lead" each team - Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice; and then they were allowed to "draft" the players they wanted on their teams.  It was a very refreshing game - and was played right up until the final seconds.  Some of the guys who are normally teammates played against each other - and both defensive lines were awesome.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game.  The final?  Jerry Rice's team won by 1 point, 22 to 21.  Of course, the offenses were hampered by lack of time in practicing together, and there were a few flubs, where the quarterback and receiver miscommunicated - but it was the best Pro Bowl game I've seen in years.
  Yesterday, our winds began blowing early; they escalated during the afternoon, and brought in a cold front.  Saturday it was 62 degrees here, yesterday, 40 degrees; today we'll, hopefully, hit 25.  Snow started falling around 6:30 yesterday evening, and fell fitfully until midnight.  It's been coming down pretty steadily ever since - and there is about 3 inches of snow on the ground so far.  The forecast is for 3 to 5 inches by late afternoon, when the snow moves out.  With the cold and the snow, I am not walking dogs today, and let the owners know it yesterday.  On days when there is snow and ice, and the temperature doesn't get above 25, my owners prefer that their dogs stay inside, using their doggies doors as needed - but not going out and growing snow balls on their legs while we walk.  I completely agree with them.
  I have my curtains open, so the kits and I can watch the squirrels and birds visit and feed in the snowstorm. Lovey and Nedi have both been outside for a few minutes, but were ready to return back inside quickly.  I placed a low-sided bowl with mixed bird seed and dried fruit in it out on the patio for the birds, and put out walnuts and Brazil nuts for the squirrels.  We've had a flock of juncos visit, and two squirrels, but no one else so far.The kits and I have had a nice, warm breakfast, and I'm preparing for a day of genealogy research.  I hope you week is a fantastic one!

No comments: