Monday, May 14, 2012

Mona's Ancestry

The Indian Peaks have a lot of snow left on them - I'd say they were 4/5 covered with the white stuff.  It's the first time I've been able to see them since Thursday.  Today it's sunny and clear, with a pretty stiff breeze coming down from the mountains  - we're supposed to reach the mid 70s today, and the weather guy just said that today will be the coolest day of the week.  All I know is that the birds have been singing outside since 5:30 this morning, and it was a glorious walk to and from the bakery earlier.
   This up-coming Saturday is my niece's birthday, and it's also the day of the Preakness at Pimlico.  Other than I'll Have Another, I don't know who is running - so, once again, I'll wait until Wednesday afternoon when post positions are drawn to make my picks.  Not much going on for me this week - other than walking Rosie and Remy, I have the week free to clean house, do laundry, and play with genealogy.  I should have an excellent time!
    I've spent a lot of time these past weeks looking at Mona, and trying to figure out her breeding - Mike was originally told that she was part pit bull.  She was about 6 months old when he got her, and she had been through about 6 prior owners.  She is a wonderfully trained dog (now), thanks to Mike's hard work.  She is also a very possesive dog regarding her territory.  She barks at me from inside the house, and inside the back yard, until she can actually touch me; then she's immediately all tail wags and bowing to invite me to play.  I've been looking at recognized breeds, and I've found two that pretty well fit Mona - one is the Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog; the other is a cross between a Lab and a Plott Hound.  Here are two examples:
This is a Catahoula Leopard Dog

The dog on the left is half Plott hound and half Lab - and looks a lot like Mona.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you mean thanks for using that picture, Thats my catahoula ( The tan one on top).

BND said...

Yes, thank you very much for showing me Mona's ancestry through the posting of the photo of your gorgeous Catahoula. Thank you for having taken and posted (on the web) that magnificent picture! It answered a lot of questions! - Your dog is a wonderful representative of a little-known breed.