Monday, May 21, 2012

The Weekend

Yesterday the peaks were snow covered; today they are three-quarters bare of cover.  It wasn't particularly warm yesterday, we had periodic rain showers, but I think the wind was the factor that removed the snow.  A light Chinook was blowing most of the day.  The Snow family and I got together to celebrate Sarah's birthday (a day late) at Reubens Bistro in the afternoon, and I got home in time to see Finding Your Roots on PBS.  Saturday evening I spent a couple of hours with Rosie and Remy, and I'm getting ready to head back over to walk them this morning.  My kits are enjoying the sunshine, even though Lovey keeps running in to check on me every 5 minutes or so.
  I found the other day that I can no longer multi-task doing important things.  I was watching the video of Kenny Rogers and the First Edition sing "Just Dropped In to See What Condition..."; I was really into the music and was tapping my fingers along with the beat.  That was when there was a close-up of Kenny Rogers, and I realized that it looked like my nephew Mike.  I was also working on my brother-in-law's family tree. His maternal family has a large number of members, and (thank goodness!) a relative documented the family up to 1898.  In my enjoyment of the music, and the startling sight of "my nephew" on the video, I managed to click the mouse twice.  Once to delete the original citation, and once to say, yes, of course I want to do that.  As I was clicking the second time, I realized that I had just erased the citation documenting over 3,000 relatives for Jim's family.  I freaked.  My cousin Sarah told me to do a system recovery, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  I did the recovery.  Then I realized that my PC thinks my family tree is a document, so the system recovery did not work.  I have spent the past week trying to get all the citations back onto the various relatives...   Aieee!
   The clouds cleared just in time for Boulder to see last night's eclipse of the sun.  ....  Gary Sinese and the Lt. Dan Band played in Parker yesterday (I would have gone, had I been aware of it).   ....  I'll Have Another has arrived at Belmont Park, and will begin to prepare for the final race in the Triple Crown.  Jockey Steve Cauthen, who was aboard Affirmed, the last Triple Crown winner in 1978, compared the two chestnuts yesterday, and said that he believes that I'll Have Another can win the Belmont, too.  He stated that the compact chestnut colt has the same quiet drive and will to win that Affirmed possessed. ....  Tangier Island, in the Chesapeake Bay, is disappearing into the  Bay.  The water level is rising, there is a good deal of soil erosion from the waves, and there is land subsidence, all contributing to the permanent loss of land.  From the air, Tangier used to look like a fish hook - now it looks like a teardrop.  The island town of Saxis, in Accomack County, is also disappearing.  If breakwaters and dredging are not done quickly, both of these towns with 400 years of history apiece will soon sink under the waters....

No comments: