Monday, May 7, 2012

Murder Mystery at Churchill Downs

The body found yesterday morning in a barn 150 yards away from Kentucky Derby winner I'll Have Another has been identified as Adan Fabian Perez, a 48-year-old native of Guatemala.  He was employed as a groom by trainer Cecil Borel, brother of jockey Calvin Borel.  He was identified by his 19-year-old son, who also works on the backside.  This is in contrast with yesterday morning's report that the victim was definitely not a person employed at Churchill Downs.  The police say that there is evidence that Perez was involved in "an altercation" Saturday night, and several were reported in the barn area of the race track Saturday night.  The cause of death is still unknown.  Police are seeking information from anyone who might have knowledge of Perez on Saturday night....
   It started to rain lightly yesterday afternoon, and I traveled underneath an umbrella to care for Sasquatch and Tugger last night.  My kits were, and are, disgusted by the fact that it's raining.  They'd like to be out. playing in the grass and chasing squirrels.  Instead, it's 41 degrees outside with a steady, light rain falling.  I went through the rain this morning for the kits on Redwood, and then I went over to Kathy's.  All she asked of me this morning was that I brush out and re-braid her hair, which I happily did.  Then I went out and uncovered the celery in the garden, let the dogs out for a romp in the back yard, and then dried them off when they came back inside.  Then I was able to return home for the day.
   At the moment, I'm only scheduled to walk the red kids in the morning until May 24; plus helping Kathy through May 12th, as Jim returns from Bhutan on Mother's Day.  So I'll have eleven days of relaxation with my kits before I move into Lynn Thore's house, while she and her children are rafting down the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon.  Hooray!

No comments: