Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bits And Pieces

First, a sad farewell to comedian and actor George Lindsey, who portrayed Goober Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show, Mayberry RFD, and Hee Haw.  He was an excellent actor, whether "being" Goober, or doing dramatic acting - he once shot Marshall Matt Dillon!  When performing comedy, he always made me laugh; and his dramatic acting was just as excellent.  He will be sorely missed.
  At 4:50 a.m. (EDT), a barn worker at Churchill Downs reported finding a body in empty stall 4 barns away from yesterday's Kentucky Derby winner, I'll Have Another.  Police had the body removed at 9:30 this morning; and state that a Hispanic male, known not to be a jockey or stable-hand, is the victim of a homicide.  Multiple bags of evidence were removed from the scene by the CSI group.
  OK - So I named I'll Have Another as one of my six picks before the Derby.  My other picks did not turn out as well....  Here is a listing of the full order of finish (and I have placed in italics the names of the horses I chose):  I'll Have Another, Bodemeister,  Dullahan,  Went The Day Well, Creative Cause, Liaison, Union Rags, Rousing Sermon, Hansen, Daddy Nose Best, Optimizer, Alpha, El Padrino, Done Talking, Sabercat, Gemologist, Trinniberg, Prospective, Take Charge Indy (who ended the race with a bone chip in his ankle), and Daddy Long Legs.  What's funny is I liked the breeding of Bodemeister, but not his looks; and I liked the looks of Dullahan, but not his breeding....  Oh, well....  I never have claimed to be an expert handicapper!
   After I blogged yesterday, I visited Sasquatch and Tugger; and they were my first visit this morning.  Then I saw Peach, which was interesting, because I had to figure out where she was; she wasn't in the house, in her bed, by the door.  She had been relegated to the garage, and the entry door was locked, so I had to figure out how to get into the garage from the house, which was littered with multiple young men and women who appeared to be deep asleep.  I walked Peach at 7:50, then walked her and fed her breakfast at 9.  Walking back with Boo, after we had accompanied Kathy to the Quaker Meetinghouse, I ran into Peach out on a leash with the eldest son of the family - who had no idea I was taking care of her....  It was definitely interesting.  My kits cuddled with me last night, and Lovey didn't want me to get up this morning.  They have both been outside playing, but are now asleep inside.
   We had temperatures in the mid-80s the last couple of days, but today a cold front is coming in, and there is a brisk breeze.  We hope the temperature will reach 62 today, and, hopefully, 50 tomorrow... the weather folks are calling for rain tonight and tomorrow, and rain mixed with snow at places higher than 8,000 feet....  That means Grandma Anne on Sugarloaf will get blasted.  At least the weather was clear, if cool, when she attended early Mass this morning.
   Hoping you have a wonderful Sunday!

No comments: