Monday, May 28, 2012

A Busy Day Already - Memorial Day

Normally, I would be standing, or sitting in my chair, alongside Folsom Street and yelling encouragement at people competing in the Bolder Boulder 10K right now.  Instead, I have just finished a late breakfast (I consider it late because I've been up and going since 5) and am starting to blog...  I have the screen panels in place at the French doors, so I can hear the waterfall, as well as the interior water feature, gurgling gently.  I've watered the organic garden and all of the potted flowers and plants outside, have fed the koi, have fed and played with the cats and dog, have walked the dog, and have taken Jim and Kathy to a drop-off site near the Start line of the Bolder Boulder.  Jim's running group was to leave at 7:15, and I dropped he and Kathy off at 7:00, 6 blocks from the starting line.  Kathy is walking the course, with her arm in her sling, as her arm and shoulder still give her some twinges.   I'm about to go over to their house and "dognap" Boo and Mona to come play with Tessa in the back yard.  I have to admit to allowing Tessa to stay in the back yard with minimal supervision; if she starts barking, I'll bring her in, but the owner only allows the dog outside to use the bathroom - and I think Tessa needs time to run and play and just be a dog.  I'll go home and spend time with Lovey and Nedi later this afternoon or evening.

   Today is Memorial Day.  A day to give respect to those who have fought for our country, and those who have died serving our country.  The majority of my family arrived in the United States back when it was a British colony - where the dissidents, trouble-makers, and those seeking religious freedom came.  People on both sides of my family have fought for (a) the British Colonies, (b) the Continental Army during the Revolution, (c) the War of 1812, (d) the Mexican War, (e) on both sides of the Civil War, and so on and so on...  I am extremely proud of my ancestors who fought and bled for this country, and of everyone else who has served the United States.  The armed forces of today deserve every one's respect and thanks.
    I humbly thank all members of the United States armed services, whether they have served us in the past, are serving us now, or will do so in the future.  America depends upon  it's citizens who, willingly, serve our country.  God bless you, and thank you.

No comments: