Friday, May 4, 2012

Tomorrow's Kentucky Derby

There are 21 colts scheduled to start in the Derby tomorrow; I like the looks of 8 of them, and I like the breeding of 9 of them.  There are 6 that I like both the looks and the breeding.  Three of the runners are related to my horses that I had in Florida.  In a silly aside, if you are someone who looks at coat colors (my husband always bet on the grey in the race), there are 5 chestnuts, 2 greys, 4 dark bay/browns, and 10 bays.  My husband would be betting on Creative Cause and Hansen tomorrow.
   My six picks, just from looking at still photos and bloodlines, are:  Optimizer, a bay colt in post 2; Rousing Sermon, a chestnut in post 7; Gemologist, a bay, in post 15; El Padrino, a chestnut in post 16; Sabercat, a dark bay or brown, in post 18; and I'll Have Another, a chestnut, in post 19. The colts related to the horses at Sleepy Hollow are: Optimizer (trained by D. Wayne Lukas), Union Rags, and Sabercat.  Normally, horses who break from inside, or far outside post positions, are not considered "big contenders" due to traffic congestion, or extra distance; that would, normally, narrow my choice down to just Rousing Sermon....  The early line betting favorite is Bodemeister, followed by Union Rags.
   I won't actually make my betting picks until I see the colts (and fillies, today) in the paddock and during the warm-up before the race....   We'll have to see how good (probably how bad) my choices are.

No comments: