Sunday, October 19, 2008

Kits, kids, and politics

As I blogged yesterday, it was a home football game here in Boulder. I got my kits back inside before 11:30, gave them a treat, and settled down to read a new release by Pat McIntosh. Vehicular traffic began in the backyard at noon. By three, the backyard was more than three-quarters full, and several families with kids aged four to twelve were tail-gating directly opposite my patio. I had my window open, but the curtains closed; soon there were youngsters on the patio trying to play with the kits through the door and window.... people outside were making so much noise that the kids couldn't hear Lovey meowing at them through the door, and decided she was hissing at them, so they started banging on the door. I got them to stop. About ten minutes later, I heard a young voice say, "It's a bird house!" There was silence for a few moments (from the kids) and then there were a few strange sounds and one of the kids yelled "Hey!" I peeked out again and two youngsters were using my bird feeders for pinatas, hitting them with plastic baseball bats. That time I went out onto the patio and asked the kids if they were going to pay me for the spilled birdseed - which finally got their parents attention. My patio was placed "out of bounds" for them - of course, they kept coming back and bugging the kits.... so I went out and sat on the patio to keep the kids away from the kits.

I am both happy and surprised to see (and hear) that Gen. Colin Powell has endorsed Barack Obama - he is currently on Meet the Press explaining why he supports Obama and not McCain. I really enjoy listening to Colin Powell... so I'm signing off....

No comments: