Friday, October 31, 2008

All Hallow's Eve

I received a phone call from Grand Junction at 9:55 last night; it was from the Democratic Party informing me that I am to work at my Precinct, 101, as a Poll Watcher from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m., and that I need to pick up my credentials (certifications and verifications) from the Boulder Obama headquarters on Saturday. If Obama wins, I guess I can say that I participated for the party out in the field.... I haven't been able to find out whom the Obama crew put in charge of the precinct - so I'll hopefully find out on Saturday.

The kits are back inside at the moment - CU has an away game tomorrow, but the company just drove through the backyard to pump out the Porta-Potties that are installed for the crowds on home game days. Lovey and Banichi are fascinated by loud noises and always want to investigate them, but, luckily, they have enough sense to be afraid of large things that move. They are leery of small things that squeal, too - several afternoons each week there are three small girls (I would guess aged between 7 and 3) that run around in the backyard and scream and squeal. As soon as either kit hears this crew out and about, they retire indoors.

It was a beautiful morning for a walk - the leaves are falling, there are still a few bright spots of color, it was in the 40s, and not windy. I did my usual 5+ miles and, since I've been with Smiley and Silver recently, I was not winded at all - even though my quads were sore. Birds are feasting at both feeders and the squirrels have made several forays for nuts so far. I'm planning on staying at home and reading tonight - don't think I'll venture to the Pearl Street Mall for the Naked Pumpkin Run. I haven't had anyone come to the door on Halloween night so far, but I do have a small bag of candy, just in case.

Originally, jack-o-lanterns were carved from turnips. Think how small and intricate the carving must have been - or did they just cut a couple of slits in the sides and shove a small candle in?

No comments: