Friday, October 17, 2008

Gimpy wants inside, too!

After last night's encounter with the raccoons, I shouldn't be surprised that Gimpy wanted inside this afternoon... I fed the critters later than usual this morning, and Gimpy had already come and gone. RedBoa ate his fill of peanuts and then buried the rest, which left none for Gimpy. I was sitting in my reading chair, safely tucked away on another planet, when the Sliding glass door began to rattle in its' tracks. I looked toward it and saw Gimpy sitting on his haunches and shaking the door with his front paws. A minute or two later, he climbed the bricks between the door and the window and tried to get through the screen. A few minutes after that, I heard my neighbor's door open, and there was a light knocking at my sliding glass door - I thought Massoud wanted to practice his English, so I flipped the lock and opened the door without looking. Gimpy came in and ran to the corner where I keep the peanuts and birdfeed - I had to give him a handful - Of course, I opened the bag and poured them out in the peanut chair for him, and did not feed him inside. Lovey and Banichi were pretty miffed, so I gave them a treat as well.

I did figure out, last night, why certain people did not have a last name listed in the 1850 US Census - it was the Census of free persons, and apparently that particular census-taker did not believe that African-Americans could possess a surname... Every person who was of color and worked as a servant was listed by their first name only in that one Ward - luckily it wasn't done in every Ward for Washington.

No comments: