Monday, October 20, 2008

Shopping and cooler weather

I walked out to 95th Street this morning (on Arapaho), then took the bus the rest of the way into Lafayette - why? To go grocery shopping. I grew up eating and using certain brands of foods - most of which are not available in Boulder, but are available at Wal-Mart in Lafayette and Longmont. Our bus system recently added a new route to Erie, and the Wal-Mart in Lafayette is one of the stops along the way.

I was able to get canned cat food for half the price I pay in Boulder; I was able to purchase a Post brand cereal that I cannot get in Boulder, and I was able to purchase 28-ounce cans of tomato puree for half the cost I pay in Boulder. I spent $29.+, but in Boulder, I would have spent $70.+.... So I combined my morning walk with a saving shopping trip, and had a good time doing both.

It's foggy and overcast this morning - a front is coming through, and instead of highs in the 70s, we'll be having highs in the 40s and 50s, with a slight chance of snow. I'm ready for it! The kits are charging back and forth through the patio door, there are several birds at the feeders, and Gimpy is enthroned on the peanut chair. I finished reading The Rough Collier by Pat McIntosh last night and started Michael Jecks' The Templar, The Queen and Her Lover - the first was intriguing, as all of Pat's books are, and the second is casting Jecks' usual spell over me.... I find myself more at home in 15th-century Glasgow and 14th-century England and France than I am going about in Boulder today.

No comments: